What ‘s New?
We’ve added some new resources to the Resource Tab. Hope you’ve been taking advantage of them, this next batch is really fun!
In Useful Tools
- Harlem Film House #NYC #Blackfilmresources
- Simply Robotix #Blackfilmresources
- Sisters in Cinema #Blackfilmresources
- Black Film Center Archive
- Cinema Sala
- Filipino American Artist Directory
- Pacific Artist Movement #AAPI
- Creative Indigenous Collective
- Pacific Islanders in Communication #AAPI
In Employment Opportunities and Plug-ins:
- Journeys In Film
- APIA MN Film Collective a.k.a Asian Pacific Islander American Minnesota Film Collective
- LA COLLAB #LatinX
- MAMA Youth Project (#UK)
- Nyar K’Odero Group (NKG) #UK (Worldwide and UK)
- Black Public Media
- Latino Film Institute #LatinX
- Black Women Animate #Blackfilmresources
- Black Que 24/7 – Spotlight – created by Kim Walters, she also has a site full of resocurces and opportunities for black artists, filmmakers, and professionals. It’s worth checking out and supporting this sister. I was amazed by this carefully curated list of resources. She’s out for the people – for black people! #Blackfilmresources
- (CAAM) Center for Asian American Media #AAPI
- Hot Pot #AAPI
In Apps we have a huge list coming this week, so be sure to check out the Resources Tab for more new things! Also, be on the lookout for another Creative Package coming this Friday 10/29/2021.
American Black Film Festival
The American Black Film Festival is shifting to an Online Global Event too! This coming November 3rd to the 28th marks the American Black Film Festival’s 25th Anniversary. It will be in the advent of the pandemic and the new Delta Variant an in-person and virtual experience. And it’s free!
Also, B-Boy Blues dir. Jussie Smollet will debut at the event! So be on the lookout for this wonderful film made by a beautiful cast and crew. I had the pleasure of speaking with the leads this past week and I’m so excited to see his major debut.
Also, the Festival will open its 25th-year milestone with King Richard starring Will Smith, Aunjune Ellis, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton, Tony Goldwyn, and Jon Bernthal. Directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green.
This week kicked off with Insecure airing on Sunday and boy is there a lot to unpack. I will be making a different blog post entirely about it but wanted to acknowledge that Issa Rae is definitely a vibe and inspiration. It’s like watching someone graduate from college. #SeasonByeve airs on Sundays 10 p.m. EST/ PST.
Shoutout to Prentice Penny, Amy Aniobi, Melina Matsoukas, and the rest of the beautiful cast and crew that changed the landscape of TV and created a new standard.
In TV and Film
Check out The Hollywood Diversity Report 2021, Part 2: Television here.
DC Milestone Initiative is out.
AT&T’s Untold Stories filmmaker’s program is up. It doesn’t close until January 2022. If you meet the criteria and eligibility, you can get up to $1 Million to complete your feature. Check it out here.
There are so many words to discuss what happened, but in honor of her life, I will not speak on it nor express outrage or sadness. It is sad, but I want to support the cause that came from it. There is conversation and the other is change. Deepest condolences to the family.
New Things Ahead
I’ve (Michael) been relatively been inspired to write. It’s been on and off. I’ve written two or three pieces in the last couple of weeks. In this house, we’re writing short films and even T’Shauna Henry finished writing her first script for our Harrow series. Which is set to shoot in late November or early December.
I’ve also decided to write my Animated bodies of work now. I got these cool stories about a little black girl and her magical flowers, two little black boys and their talking dog Oswald, and maybe some of the anime/manga I was developing since 2008.
I hope whoever is reading these gets something out of the resources and news. I encourage you to read the walls of the world and find new opportunities They are there. There are people looking for you. You have to also find yourself.
“Act as if it were impossible to fail.”Dorothea Brande
“Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance”Bruce Barton
“I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues”Duke Ellington